Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day Two: Holland- The Netherlands- The Hague

Up by 5 am we headed downstairs for breakfast and hit the ground running. Our tour guild Sletlona guided us quickly through the right buses in order to arrive at the EU's International Criminal Courts on time for our tour. It was rather dry, but a good run down of what this institution does. In a nut shell it will either be successful and be the beginning of a kind of Star wars republic where each member state has their representation. But since the EU lacks the participation of the US and China as well os other highly significant country the organization is too weak. Failure is a possibility. But I think it is fair to say any progress towards this form of unity is good progress. After the ICC Rachel Ashton, and I went to a very neat restaurant that was all natural, fresh, and delicious. Well actually I got this weird fish pie with zucchini that was not the best but the rhubarb pie slice I ate with it was well worth the 5 euros I paid for it. After that we walked the streets of the Hague which reminded me of an outside mall. Ashton and I went into a whole foods/lord and Taylor store that was very neat. We found a coffee show of the European brand and hung out for a little while. It was a very lovely day with excellent weather. But the intended train for our transportation back to Brussels was canceled. As it turns out someone through themselves upon the train in order to commit suicide. Apparently the suicide rate here in Belgium is quite high. Our tour guide told us this was a frequent occurrence. We had to take a hodge podge of trains to make our way back which ended up being a 4 hour process. Back in Brussels we set out to find the legendary mussels in Brussels. We found them as well as our desert... Belgium waffles!


No comments:

Post a Comment